Today I wanted to share my DIY monogrammed key chain I made with vinyl. I used a fun design from the Design Store that formats the letters for you (see directions below). This key chain would be a lovely Mother’s Day gift; just customize with the initials of the ladies you would like to celebrate!
- Silhouette CAMEO®, Silhouette Portrait®, or Silhouette Curio™
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- Silhouette Cutting Blade
- Silhouette Studio®
- Adhesive Vinyl
- Transfer Tape
- Scraper Tool
- Acrylic or Plastic Key Chain
- Design ID #81300
Step One: Creating Your Design
- Open up Silhouette Studio®.
- Select the Page Setup panel and adjust your cutting mat size to 12 x 12 (or the size of mat you are using).
- Download/open your word art (Design ID #81300).
- Type your initials in this order: First, Last, Middle.
- This font requires you to do the letters with a keystroke to get all three to appear in the circle: type the letters in lowercase, but hit the shift key for the second initial. This should automatically format the letters in the design.
- Select the whole design and adjust the size. I found the size of my key chain by laying it on top of the cutting mat.
- Attach your vinyl to the cutting mat, color side up, and load into your machine.
- Follow the prompts in the Silhouette Studio® to adjust your blade (if using a ratchet blade) for vinyl and double-check to make sure your design has been selected to cut.
- Select “Send” to start cutting.
- Select “Unload” when your machine has finished cutting your design to remove the cutting mat from the machine.
Step Two: Preparing Your Design
- Remove your sheet of vinyl from the cutting mat
- Use your fingers or a weeding tool to remove the excess vinyl. Be sure to leave your design on the backing sheet. I messed up and accidentally removed the circle that goes around the monogram; it happens to everyone from time to time.
- Carefully remove the centers of the letters and graphics. The letters can be delicate, so take your time.
Step Three: Creating Your Key Chain
- Place a piece of transfer tape over your design.
- Use the scraping tool to make sure the vinyl adheres to the transfer tape.
- Gently pull transfer tape and make sure the entire monogram lifts with it.
- Place your design on top of the key chain.
- Use the scraping tool to smooth the design onto the keychain.
- Remove the transfer tape.
Now you have created a DIY monogrammed key chain. It’s an easy thing to make if you’re looking for a customized gift. Tell me what color of vinyl you will use for your key chain in the comments below.