So, you (or someone you know) are heading off to college! Congratulations! Textbooks, tuition, and rent may have you strapped for cash, but your dorm room décor need not suffer! You’re a DIY-er, so you can turn those cinder-block walls from drab to fab in 30 minutes or less with these spirited, felt pennant flags. In fact, these flags have so much school spirit that they may just ask you to join the cheer squad. Look out!
· Silhouette CAMEO®
· Silhouette Studio®
· Silhouette Heat Transfer Material
· Cutting Mat 12 x 24 in.
· Freezer, Parchment, or Butcher Paper
Step One: Create a Triangle in Silhouette Studio®
1. In Silhouette Studio®, open the “Design Page” window (Ctrl +F1). Change your design page settings to the 12 in x 24 in cutting mat.
2. Using the “Draw a Polygon” tool, draw an isosceles triangle (a triangle with two sides that are the same… sorry… math major over here).
3. Enlarge your triangle to the size you want for your flag. I made mine 11.5 in x 18.5 in.
Step Two: Cut Your Felt Into a Triangle
Cutting felt can be tricky sometimes, so I opted to use my CAMEO ® to cut out a pattern for my flag and then use scissors on the felt.
1. Cut your freezer, butcher or parchment paper into a large rectangle, big enough to cut your triangle out of.
2. Place your paper on the 12 in x 24 in cutting mat.
3. Send your triangle design to your CAMEO ® .
4. Use your paper pattern to cut out three felt triangles.
Step Three: Design and Cut the Text for Your Flags
1. Using the text tool, type out your words and select your font. I used Varsity Font from the Design Store.
2. You can use the triangle that you previously created as a guide to see how large to make your words.
3. For heat transfer material, you need to mirror your words before cutting. To do this, select your text and choose Object> Mirror> Flip horizontally.
3. Send the text to your CAMEO and remember the change the material settings on the cut page and adjust your blade accordingly.
1. Follow the directions on your box of Silhouette Heat Transfer Material to weed and iron your text.
2. Add details to your flags. I added a yellow felt border and hanging tabs. You could also get really fun and add some rhinestones or glitter!
These spirited flags come together so quickly and are a fun touch to show your school spirit.
What other dorm room decor will you make with your CAMEO ® ?