Have you had a chance to play with our metallic vinyl? We love the effect that it gives to a project. Today we took our FREE Design of the Week and turned it into a custom wooden tray. It’s amazing how our metallic vinyl can transform a simple project into something really sophisticated.
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait® or Silhouette Curio™
- Silhouette Metallic Vinyl – Gold
- Silhouette Transfer Tape
- Wooden Tray
- Design ID #228428
Step One: Set Up The Design
- Open up Silhouette Studio®. Open Design ID #228428 by locating it in your library.
- Adjust the size of the design by selecting it and dragging the outer corner to make it larger or smaller to fit the dimensions of your wooden sign.
- In Silhouette Studio®, select the Send window in the top right-hand corner. Select your entire design and make sure the Cut option is selected.
Step Two: Cut And Assemble
- Load your vinyl into your machine. Make sure to adjust your rollers so that your machine can properly grip your material.
- In the Send window, select the Vinyl, Metallic setting and select Send. (Remember that if you don’t have an AutoBlade, you will need to adjust your blade settings.)
- After your machine is done cutting, unload the vinyl from your machine and weed away unnecessary parts of the design.
- Place the Transfer Tape over your design to help move your design over to the wood tray.
- Slowly peel away the white backing from the vinyl.
- Align your design on your wooden tray. Once you have it in the position you would like, rub the vinyl on the wooden tray. Use your scraper tool to help adhere the vinyl.
- Slowly peel away the transfer tape to reveal your finished design.
November 2, 2017
Great thanksgiving project idea!
November 6, 2017
I haven’t worked with vinyl yet. Is transfer paper only for moving the vinyl from your work space to the project surface? Therefore, is it really necessary to use?
November 7, 2017
Yes and yes. 🙂 The reason you use transfer paper is so you can keep your design and all its pieces in exactly the same place as when you cut it out. Vinyl is really like a sticker, so imagine if you were to cut out a design like the one above and had to pick up and place every single letter (including the dot to the letter i) by hand. You would spend a lot of time trying to line it up perfectly. Even though the letters are mostly connected in the example above, you would still struggle to place it by hand in exactly the right position as vinyl is delicate and flexible. Transfer tape lifts it all up at once, places the design all at once, then is removed easily to leave your perfect design on the applied surface,
Comments are closed.