With Thanksgiving coming up, it’s time to start thinking about how you’re going to decorate and set your table. Silhouette’s got great products that are perfect for just that! We’re going to show you how you can easily create customized napkins and place cards. Just follow the tutorial below!
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait®
- Silhouette Studio®
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- Silhouette Cutting Blade
- Silhouette Metallic Heat Transfer – Copper
- Silhouette Metallic Vinyl – Rose Gold
- Silhouette Transfer Tape
- Silhouette Hook Tool
- Piece of cloth or parchment paper
- Napkin – Dark Green
- Design ID #278635
- Design ID #13190
- Design ID #190735
Step One: Preparing the Design
1. Open the Flourish Pumpkin design (Design ID #278635) in Silhouette Studio®. Resize your design according the napkin size you will use. Ungroup the design and place the pumpkin stem and leaves close to the orange part of the pumpkin. Group the design and make as many copies as you need according to the number of napkins you are going to decorate.
2. Before you send your design to your Silhouette machine, make sure to MIRROR IT. Don’t forget or else all of your text will be backward. The easiest way to mirror your design is to right-click your design and select “Flip Horizontally” or go to Object > Mirror > Flip Horizontally.
Step Two: Cutting the Design
1. Place the piece of the metallic copper heat transfer (glossy side down) on the cutting mat and feed it into your Silhouette machine.
2. Under the Send panel, select “Heat Transfer, Metallic” as your material type. Adjust the blade if necessary, and click Send. Silhouette Studio® will ask you if you need to mirror your design. Since we already did, we can click “Send As-Is” when the message pops up. Tip: If you choose to have the software mirror the design for you, it will cut the entire page in reverse (not just the designs in reverse), so it’s important to have your page size set to match your actual material size if you go with that option.
3. Once the image is cut, select Unload on your machine and remove the heat transfer from the machine.
4. Remove the excess heat transfer from your design in a process called weeding with your Silhouette hook tool.
Step Three: Applying the Heat Transfer
1. After the design is weeded, place it on your napkin (plastic side up).
2. Use an iron (or a heat press) to adhere the heat transfer. The iron should be set to no steam on a cotton setting. It shouldn’t be set higher than 300 degrees Fahrenheit. We recommend using a piece of light-weight fabric between the iron and the heat transfer material.
3. Once the design has cooled, peel away the clear plastic liner. If the heat transfer material continues to stick to the liner, then lay it back down, replace the protective sheet or cloth, and iron some more.
Step Four: Making a Place Card
1. Open the Fall Leaves design (Design ID #13190), pick any of the leaves you like, and resize and cut them from cardstock. Type your guests names using Ladyfinger font (Design ID #190735), resize them that they fit leaves and cut them from rose gold metallic vinyl (here are the cut settings we used—Blade: 2, Speed: 5, Force: 17, and Pass: 1). Using transfer tape, apply the cut vinyl names on the cardstock leaves.
2. Arrange your Thanksgiving table.
And that’s it! Don’t you think it’s amazing that you can make customized place settings like this? Tell us in the comments below how you are going to set up your Thanksgiving tables this year!