These sweet paper heart topiaries are perfectly appropriate for Valentine’s Day decor, but they are also great as gifts for friends or even baby or bridal shower favors if you want to get really crafty! How do you decorate for Valentine’s Day?
- Silhouette Cameo® or Silhouette Portrait®
- Silhouette Studio®
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- Silhouette AutoBlade or Silhouette AutoBlade for Cameo 4
- Cardstock in various shades
- Chipboard, optional but helpful if your cardstock isn’t too strong.
- Wooden skewers
- Pots with floral foam or beans to display
- Heart Topiary project by Furrow & Feather
Step One: Formatting the Design
1. Insert the heart topiary design into Silhouette Studio® and size it to your desired dimensions. We sized our design so the hearts measured between 5 and 7.5 inches wide.
2. For each of our hearts, we used two similar shades of cardstock to give some depth to the design. You can ungroup the design so you can choose which pieces to cut out of each color.
3. Now cut out your design with the coordinating papers of your choice. If you’re using a flimsy cardstock, you may want to cut an additional heart shape from chipboard and glue them together to give the heart more structure.
Repeat this same process for however many heart topiaries you want to create, adjusting the size and the colors of paper.
Step Two: Assembling Each Topiary
1. Once you have your elements cut, glue on the leaf boughs to the heart frame. You can use the design in Silhouette Studio® as a helpful layout to help guide your gluing.
2. Once your heart is complete, hot glue on a wooden skewer to the back base of the heart.
3. Stick into a pot or vessel filled with foam or beans to stabilize each skewer.
4. Arrange on your table or mantel or give each topiary as a sweet Valentine’s Day gift!