An easy way to decorate for the season is to add holiday-themed pillows on your coaches or chairs. Today we’re going to show you how you can easily create your own pillow using stencil vinyl and fabric ink. It’s so easy, and anyone can do it!
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait®
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- Silhouette Cutting Blade
- Silhouette Stencil Vinyl
- Silhouette Fabric Ink – gold
- Paint brush or sponge brush
- Mixing tray
- Piece of cloth
- Design ID #282057
Step One: Cutting Out the Stencil Vinyl
1. Open the Deer with Foliage design (Design ID #282057) in Silhouette Studio®. Resize it so that it will fit your pillow and stencil vinyl. Remember that you are using the stencil vinyl as a template, so you might want to draw a rectangle or a square around your design to make it easier to weed the design and leave the negative space.
2. Place a piece of the stencil vinyl on the cutting mat on the same spots as you placed designs on the working space in the Silhouette Studio®. Make sure the piece of vinyl is not smaller than your design. Adjust the rollers if needed, and feed the mat into the cutting machine.
3. Under the Send panel, select “Vinyl, Glossy” as your material type. Adjust the blade if necessary, and click Send.
4. Weed the design, but don’t weed the negative space like you normally would. Remember, you are making a stencil to apply your design, so you need to weed away the actual design.
5. Apply transfer tape on the weeded stencil vinyl and remove the vinyl from its backing.
6. Place the vinyl on your project.
7. Press down firmly and carefully remove the transfer tape. Place a thick piece of cardstock under the material you are going to apply fabric ink to in order to prevent ink from bleeding through.
Step Two: Applying the Fabric Ink
1. Use a paint brush or sponge brush to apply the fabric ink. When you are applying ink, be careful and not to go over the stencil borders. Let the ink dry.
2. Remove the stencil vinyl.
3. Place a piece of cloth on the top of the fabric ink design and iron on top for a couple of seconds to set the ink.
Now our pillow cover is ready!
We love how easy it is to apply fabric ink using Silhouette’s stencil vinyl. It takes only minutes to create something you can enjoy for the entire season!