We here at Silhouette love a good home decor sign, and this one is perfect for fall. Grab your Silhouette machine and some wood vinyl (or any other vinyl you’d like), and we’ll show you how you can make your own!
- Silhouette CAMEO® or Silhouette Portrait®
- Silhouette Studio®
- Silhouette Cutting Mat
- Silhouette Cutting Blade
- Silhouette Wood Vinyl
- Silhouette Transfer Tape
- Wood Plaque
- Design ID #278636
Step One: Preparing the Design
1. Download the Autumn Word Art design (Design ID #278636) from the Silhouette Design Store. Open it in Silhouette Studio® by locating it in your Library. Resize it so that it will fit your wood plaque. Group elements of the design according the color of vinyl you will use.
2. Add weed lines using Draw a Polygon tool, which is located on the left side of your screen.
Step Two: Cutting the Vinyl
1. Place pieces of walnut vinyl on the cutting mat on the same spots as you placed designs on the working space in the Silhouette Studio®. Make sure the pieces of vinyl are not smaller than your designs. Adjust the rollers if needed, and feed the mat into the cutting machine.
2. Under the Send panel, select “Vinyl, Wood” as your material type. The cut settings for wood vinyl are Blade 2, Speed 5, Force 20, and Passes 1. Adjust the blade if necessary, and click Send.
3. Once the image is cut, select Unload on your machine and remove the vinyl from the machine.
4. Remove the excess vinyl from your design in a process called weeding with your Silhouette hook tool. Repeat this process for each color of the vinyl you cut.
Step Three: Applying Vinyl Using Transfer Tape
1. Place the transfer tape over your design to help move your design over to the wood plaque. Use the scraper tool to adhere the transfer tape to the vinyl.
2. Slowly peel away the vinyl from the white backing. If parts of the design are not adhering to the transfer tape, place the design back on the white backing and try adhering the design again. Apply vinyl on the wood plaque.
3. Slowly, peel away the transfer tape to reveal your vinyl decal.
Now our project is ready!
This is a great project to do because you can customize it however you’d like, depending on the plaque you have or the vinyl you want to use. Tell us how your plaque turned out in the comments below!