I love sending and receiving mail! Getting an unexpected note in the mail is always such a treat. I keep a big box of blank note cards both at home and at work. You never know when you will need to write something to someone. My most sent cards tend to be thank you cards, so I thought I would try dressing up some of my plain watercolor note cards with some gold foil. Keep reading to see how I made gold foil thank you cards with the Silhouette Curio™.
Step One: Creating Your Design
- Download and open the Silhouette Studio® software. Be sure to change your cutting mat and page size for the Curio. For this project, I selected page size: “Automatic (Curio)” and “Curio (emboss)” for the cutting mat.
- Download and open your word art (Design ID #25278).
- I rotated my design 90 degrees and made it smaller to fit my note card.
- Click the Emboss icon from the menu on the far right (it is the star icon located near the bottom). You can hover your mouse over each icon to see what each feature is.
- Click the circle with the lines from the embossing pattern and reduce the spacing to 0.004.
Step Two: Embossing Your Design
- Plug in your Silhouette Curio™ machine’s power cord and connect the USB cord to your computer and the Silhouette Curio™.
- Your Silhouette Curio™ will sync and connect.
- Stack your bases for embossing. I used two of the (2) bases and then the (1) foam base on top. Remove the protective plastic from the foam base.
- Place your card face-up on the foam mat.
- Cut a piece of the foil transfer sheet to slightly larger than the size of your design, remove the protective backing, and place on top of your note card.
- Turn on the Silhouette Curio™ and load your cutting mat into the machine. Do this by pushing it all the way in and then press the arrow button on the side of the machine. The mat will move and lock into place.
- Insert your clear embossing tool and click Send.
- Remove your mat from the Silhouette Curio™ when the embossing is finished.
Step Three: Finishing Your Gold Foil Cards
- Remove the foil sheet from the front of your card. Don’t worry; it’s not supposed to look perfect yet.
- Gently remove your notecard from the cutting mat.
- Cover your design with painters’ tape and gently remove to clean up the excess foil from your design.
I love that I can make beautiful and custom cards now anytime I want with my Silhouette Curio™ and some Foil Transfer Sheets.
Please visit Polka Dotted Blue Jay blog for more craft and Silhouette inspiration.